Friday 1 May 2009

I Get Goose Bumps When The Bassline Thumps

I felt my first ever earthquake today. Sitting in the edit suite at Bill Fishman's office when for a few seconds, everything rumbled. It felt just like living next to a train line, but being west Los Angeles, there's no trains for miles around. Bill thought I'd had the bass turned up on the G5's sub-woofer.

Coincidentally I'd been in Home Depot earlier that day, admiring the fine selection of 'Earthquake Straps' they sell for tethering your valuables to the floor. Californian wisdom is that when you feel the earthquake hit, sit under a door frame, and stay there. Living with that above your heads all the time is another bizarre aspect of life in LA, destruction and success potentially equally sudden and absolute. A whole town comprised of people all crossing their fingers the Big One doesn't hit before their studio deal comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment